Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Tallgrass Prairie Trail

     The Tallgrass Prairie Trail is a small trail in the tail of Whitewater Forest Park.
     Being the only trail in Whitewater District, I like it because it is the closet to where I grew up.  Besides that small fact the trail is quite interesting.
     The attractions are the overland bridge, the prairie itself and the vernal pond.  Vernal ponds are areas of water important to many amphibians' life cycles, but they are only around for a short time.
     Vernal ponds allow amphibians to breed without the fear of their young being eaten by fish.
     Just past the vernal pond is the overland bridge.  It travels over the sloping hill creating an easier walk for most.  The bridge has a few steps so be careful when walking down.  The drop is not far, about three or four feet, but it would still hurt.
     There is also the prairie.  This is home to many wildlife including rabbits and deer.  I have seen many different forms of wildlife here.  Once in those first months I with Noki, one of my sisters and I were followed by coyotes or dogs around the trail.  If you are walk this trail, walk it during park hours and you will not risk this.  My sister and I started the trail late and it was dark by the time we finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment